A blog for our baby girl Kate, who has been diagnosed with a rare congenital heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). She is due to arrive via c-section on June 26, 2012.
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Kate's Arrival
Kate Elizabeth
Born on 6/26/2012 at 7:56am via c-section
6 lb 8 oz and 19.25 in long
After arriving at Cardinal Glennon at 5am, getting prepped for surgery, and receiving the sweetest spinal ever, we were ready to meet our baby girl. Being awake this time was so much better! They kept telling me that I would feel tugging, pressure and pulling, but I felt none of these. I didn't even know she was out until they told me! She came out screaming (sassy from the very beginning) and smaller than I imagined she'd be.
For a moment, I forgot all about her heart condition. Just a moment though. Until they swiftly took her off to evaluate her heart. Her atrial septum was intact, but she was getting blood from the left to the right side of her heart via her coronary sinus. Very good news for her - no immediate work was needed. The doctors did decide to do a heart catheterization on her though to get a clear picture of what her heart was doing. Afterwards she was taken to NICU to await surgery on Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment