Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Before surgery

I was in the hospital recovering from my c-section, so I didn't see her much until I was released.  It was extremely difficult to be away from her.  At Mercy, they put me on a different floor from the nursery so at least I didn't have to hear crying babies.  That would have been pure torture for me.  I already missed her so much and just wanted to hold her and someone to tell me that they made a mistake and she didn't have this terrible heart defect.  Unfortunately no one ever told me that.

Kate spent 6 days in the NICU awaiting her Norwood heart surgery. She was stable, but they decided to intubate her while doing her heart cath.  Kate ended up with a meconium plug, which caused her belly to become very distended and blue.  They did an upper GI on her and eventually the plug cleared.  This issue meant that we couldn't hold Kate.  Very difficult, but we knew it was best for her.  They did all of these tests on her for various conditions that are associated with meconium plugs.  We were already stressed for her looming surgery and then they were throwing around scary thoughts like CF.  But she tested negative for everything. 

Kate had visits from Grandma and Grandpa Price, Aunt Stacy and our good friend Erin while in NICU.  Erin even helped us out with a little photo opp with Kate!  They finally let us hold her after 5 long days!

Hair!




Mommy snuggle time


Toes



Chest with no scar



Daddy snuggle time

No comments:

Post a Comment