Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kate's Diagnosis

March 19, 2012 - probably the worst day in our lives.  We went for a Level 2 ultrasound to get a closer look at our baby girl's heart since the last 2 ultrasounds were unsuccessful in seeing a 4 chambered heart.  We were told that she had a heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.  It is a very rare congenital heart defect, and we don't know the cause, but it basically means that she only has 1/2 of a functioning heart. Her left side is very underdeveloped and cannot pump blood to her body. She is fine while she is inside my belly b/c I do all of the work, but once she is born, she will need a series of 3 surgeries to make her heart function as best as it can.

She will never have a normal functioning heart, but with successful completion of the 3 surgeries, we are hopeful that she should be able to lead a mostly normal life. She won't be running any marathons or playing competitive sports, but she should be able to run and play like any other kid. The doctor said that there is 95% survival rate with successful completion of the surgeries.

The 1st surgery will occur within 1 week of birth. I will be delivering via c-section at Mercy Hospital St. Louis probably sometime between 6/18-6/27 depending on her size. She will be having her surgery either at St. Louis Children's or Cardinal Glennon Hospital. We will know more once we meet with the surgeon about 4 weeks.   This surgery is the highest risk since she will be so little.  The 2nd surgery will occur around 3-6 months after birth.  The 3rd surgery will occur around 2-3 years old. 
 
They have made great medical advances in these heart surgeries, so we are very hopeful for a positive outcome. This will be a lifelong challenge for our family, as there can be many complications and the need for additional surgeries. 
 
I will continue to have lots of ultrasounds to watch her heart and her growth. She looks to be perfectly healthy otherwise.
 
It has been really tough for us, but we want to be as normal as possible for Jacob. Our focus for now is just getting her out as plump and healthy as possible. We've decided to share her name so everyone can pray for her. Her name is Kate Elizabeth:)

3 comments:

  1. I love taht you will be keeping this blog for both you as well as little Kate. It will help you in more ways that youcan even imagine through this journey ahead.

    We will be keeping Kate and your family in our prayers every day. Staying positive that Kate will be as healthy as possible and she will make it through all of this. I just know it.

    I am here if you need anything at all. Just to talk or someone to take Jacob for a few hours in a day. Annika would love to have him over for a while :) Just call and let me know.

    Hugs to all of you and know you have many family and friends here to help you along the way.

    Take care. We hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear this. The survival rate is very encouraging tho! It will be tough but you guys are a strong family! Let me know if there's anything I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this will be therapeutic for you and well as keeping us posted. I have prayers promised from all over. Craig, I have heard from your cousins (who are also parents). They are there for you.

    I wish we were closer so we could help out with Jacob. If you need us, just call. We will be there.

    ReplyDelete