Sunday, September 2, 2012

July 26, 2012 - The 2nd Day that Changed Our Lives Forever

Craig and I thought our baby girl was going to leave us..

She had been stable on ECMO all night, but then at around 8am, she slowly lifted her left arm bent at the elbow and started moving it rhythmically...it didn't even register to me at first that it was a seizure.  Immediately the room turned chaotic as they called for EEG monitoring of  her brain and a head ultrasound.  Within 2 hours we were being told that Kate had a major brain bleed with frequent seizure activity.  The bleed was most likely caused from the trauma her body endured with the code, but it was being worsened by the blood thinners they need to use with the ECMO machine to prevent clotting of the cannulas.  We needed to get her off the ECMO machine as soon as possible.  She had just coded 24 hours before...how could her heart be strong enough to do all the work again so soon??

Craig and I spent a couple of hours in the waiting room just crying and praying...she needs the heart and the brain to survive but both were sick..her surgeon kept telling us that he felt her heart would be able to come off ECMO...all I could think about was that it was over and I would be saying goodbye to Kate soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment